Aberdeen & Grampian Chamber of Commerce


Company Number: SC000791
Date of Incorporation: 3 November 1877
Contact Details: Greenhole Place, Bridge of Don, Aberdeen, AB23 8EU
Operating Details: Active. Private, limited by guarantee, no share capital
Other names (if known): The Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce (up to 1994), Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce (1994-2000)
Function of Company*: Business & employers organisation (9111)
Headquarters/Base of Operations Location: Aberdeen (at address above)
Area of Operation: Throughout Aberdeen and Grampian- there are 5 affiliated chambers, Cairngorms, Inverness, Moray, Caithness and Montrose.

*Taken from Standard Industrial Classification 2003, as used by Companies House in 2010

Records


Held By: Aberdeen City Council Archives DD74 (accessioned in 1991)

Scope/type: Chief Executive Annual Reports 1872-1935; Journal of Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce 1919-1982; Minute Books 1853-1954; Financial Records and members list; various committee files 1954-1987; junior chamber files 1969-1972; various photographs

Conditions governing access/use: All readers are asked to book a space in advance. Readers must adhere to searchroom guidelines, and may be required to produce identification to access records. See http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/LocalHistory/archives/loc_FAQs.asp

Related records: Some records of the Aberdeen Junior Chamber of Commerce available at the National Archives of Scotland

Company History


The Aberdeen and North of Scotland Trade Protection Society was founded in 1855, after two years of meetings and discussions amongst the merchants and traders of the area. In 1872 it developed into Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce, with 148 members. It deals with all matters relating to trade in the city and surrounding area, including employment, unemployment and labour shortages, educational liaison, industrial and trade trends, relations with chambers of commerce in other towns, and certificates of origin. It also represents local trades in matters relating to local transport problems. By 1933 it had 363 members, including many of the most influential businessmen in the North East. Now with premises in George Street, Aberdeen, and with a Junior Chamber, it also publishes an influential annual journal, with comprehensive reports and surveys. In 1882 Sir David Stewart was made President, and in 1884 received an address by Sherrif Dove Wilson on the formation of a code of commercial law for the United Kingdom. In 1999 the Chamber appointed its first woman CEO, Amanda Harvie.

Please see the Chamber's website for more information.

Information obtained from Aberdeen City Council Archives, used here with thanks.