A & J MacNab, Limited


Company Number: SC001822
Date of Incorporation: 28 January 1889
Contact Details: C/o Darby Scotland, Unit 1 & 2 Block 2, Lochshore East Industrial Estate, Glengarnock, Ayrshire, KA14 3DB
Operating Details: Dissolved 12 December 2008
Other names (if known): Holmes McDougall Limited (up to 1987)
Function of Company*: Listed as dormant company (9999), previously book publisher (2211)
Headquarters/Base of Operations Location: Ayrshire (formerly Edinburgh)
Area of Operation:

*Taken from Standard Industrial Classification 2003, as used by Companies House in 2010

Records


Held By: The successor organisation has no records relating to this company, and there are no records of A&J MacNab extant.

Edinburgh Museums have a collection of unlisted and uncatalogued boxes of ledgers and order books for Holmes McDougall, and a box of leaflets that relate to the printing industry in Edinburgh generally. This was developed as part of the ‘Edinburgh; City of Print’ project.

Some documents relating to Holmes McDougall Ltd are held in the Edward Clark Collection at Napier University archives and special collections. This is the collection of the Scottish Printing Archive trust, and can be found at http://staff.napier.ac.uk/services/library/about/EdwardClarkCollection/Pages/Scottishprintinghistorymaterials.aspx . It should be noted that the collection is a relatively small one built up by a voluntary organisation, and does not contain the comprehensive records of the business operations of the company.

Related records: There are photos of Holmes McDougall records on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/30239838@N04/4004395733/

Company History


The names supplied by Companies House relate to two venerable Edinburgh companies that by the late 1970s had both been bought by Scottish and Universal Investments Limited. The first was Holmes McDougall, an educational publisher based in Edinburgh that had a magazine and label printing press in Glasgow. In 1987 the management of the company bought out the parent, leaving the magazine section in the control of Scottish and Universal. A & J MacNab Limited, had previously been a launderers and dry cleaners in Glasgow. However before that it had operated as a long-standing dyer, launderer and tweed-maker in Edinburgh- it’s involvement in the village of Longstone dates back to 1773.

It appears likely that this company had some involvement in the label printing side of the Holmes McDougall business, possibly as a holding or property management company. Holmes McDougall itself dissolved in the early 1990s, and it appears that this company’s assets were sold on at a similar time. The large facility at Glengarnock was probably the major asset, and this is now held by Darby Glass.

Darby Glass (Scotland), the company that own the site where this company is registered, are a glass shaper and processor formed in 2008. http://www.darbyglass-scotland.co.uk/


With thanks to the staff at Edinburgh Museums and Napier University Libraries and Archives for their help in collecting this information.